Monday, July 19, 2010

Pirate Galaxy- Story Mission completed

I love Pirate Galaxy, but there are times when I just want to smash its face in.

In order to progress through the game, you have to complete what are known as Story Missions. These follow a connected narrative, completing a story in each system. For example in my current system I'm helping scattered colonies of humans struggling to survive on a previously civilised planet, now devastated by the alien Mantis.

I've been stuck on Trade Enabler, a story mission, for ages. It's a squad mission, meaning it's almost impossible to complete with just one player, unless he's flying a more advanced ship. The trouble is you can't get to the next system and get a better ship without completing all story missions in your current system. These missions can be fun and do encourage team play, but if your clan is disbanding, or maybe just no one likes you, it can be hard to find someone who is at the same point in the story as you.

Luckily last night I found a player named Red_Shift who was just about to take on the mission. Even better, he had three wing men with the most advanced ships possible. I shepherded the colonist ship we were protecting, but mostly watched in awe as the Sol ships wasted any Mantis who even thought of looking at us. Bit of a cheat really, but it's who you know right?

Anyway we were 90% of the way through the mission when the game suddenly locked up and kicked me out. My throat closed up and I tried not to hyper-ventilate as I frantically tried to log back in. To have it snatched away at the last minute, the injustice, the unfairness, the b*****ds! When I finally got back into the game, the mission was over and Red_Shift had gone. I got back into orbit, a Mantis Death Squad at my heels, and checked the mission register. Trade Enabler was completed.

Thank you Red_Shift, I am eternally in your debt.

Update
I now have a blog dedicated to Pirate Galaxy. Visit http://cryonitecove.blogspot.com/ and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment