Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Avatar

I finally got around to seeing Avatar on Bank Holiday Monday. For some reason the Buzz around the film never really captured me the first time and the opportunity to see it never came up. I could have watched it on a trans-Atlantic flight but decided against it. I'd heard it was worth watching for the spectacle rather than the plot, so the 9 inch screen in the back of the chair in front didn't seem the best format. I waited for it to come back to the Imax in Brum and saw it there.

It was good, well worth the money but not as good as Cameron's The Terminator or Aliens (my favourite). It was a lot better than Titanic though. The 3D and effects worked best in the big battle scenes, with the Marine's ships and mecha looking especially realistic. Lingering shots of Pandora flora and fauna got a bit annoying and the 3D seemed a bit gimmicky then. Still you've got to admire Cameron's commitment and dedication to this film, plus the impact it's had on cinema.

I was struck by the commonalities with Aliens. Bad ass marines flying ships that looked very similar. A gorgeous Hispanic female marine. A corporate rep who turns out to be lower than low, Sigourney Weaver of course. Maybe he's planning a future cross-over, Aliens on Pandora. Now that would be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment