Thursday, August 19, 2010

Writing for fun

I do sometimes worry about spending time relaxing or having fun rather than writing. There are those, so I'm told, who relax and have fun by writing. I envy them. I like to think about writing, read about it, talk about it. I also like to look back at my work and show it off, or defend it as the case may be.

Unfortunately the writing itself is work, and not work that I look forward to. Once I'm underway it's not so bad. In fact when I'm in full flow I resent any reason to stop, such as eating, sleeping or the unreasonable desire of your family to communicate with you. It's getting started that's the real bugger. The exception is this blog, which I do enjoy. I think it's the bite-size nature, seeing my writing on the WWW, and discovering that someone from Moscow was last night reading about my bed-time stories.

There are books of advice on forcing yourself to write, and I'm sure all of it works for someone. There are tricks that work for me too, but it is still a challenge. So when I sit down to play Pirate Galaxy, or watch telly, or sit in the bath reading, there's always the nagging guilt that I should be writing.

Well I have hit upon a plan.

Why not start a Blog on my Pirate Galaxy adventures? People have found this blog looking for Pirate Galaxy information and comment, and there are forums and data bases run by fans all over the web. Maybe there's a market for an honest, independent, entertaining (hopefully) blog written by a non-obsessive, literate player.

As well as combining two fun things, there is the chance of making some cash from it too. I've decided to keep ads off this blog, but in a Pirate Galaxy blog they'd be welcome. Maybe I'll earn a fortune and be hired by every MMORPG game to play and blog in their universe and spread the word. PC sponsors will supply me with free equipment and broadband, while players fight to be in the clans of the famous blogger.

Why not, and did I mention the fun?

Update
The blog is now up and running. Have a look and see what you think.
http://cryonitecove.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment