Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ashes To Ashes

Spoiler warning. Do not read if you're following Ashes To Ashes or Lost and haven't seen the final episodes yet.

I liked the conclusion to A2A. I found it satisfying and it fitted within the internal logic of the series. I was sad, on behalf of her daughter, when Alex was revealed to be dead/dying, but I think that worked better than having her wake up completely recovered and well adjusted. I also think that Ray had a great development arc. He started as a despicable sexist, racist bully. By the end he was a sympathetic sexist, racist bully.

Like many good endings, there was still some ambiguity. Who was Keates? Was he Satan or, my preferred theory, another dying copper drawn to Gene’s world to work through his ‘issues’, who instead descended into evil insanity.

My wife stuck with Lost to the end (I gave up half way) and commented on the similarities in the resolutions. In Lost it was explained that the people stranded on the island had actually been killed in the original plane crash, but their experiences through the series were a process to reach some kind of personal resolution. I’m glad A2A got to transmission first.

2 comments:

  1. Keates was definitely the devil. All that hissing and the way he was walking at the end was very demonic. He seemed to be something that Gene had no control over, or rather he had to put up with. A continual battle between them.

    I really enjoyed the series, but would have liked a few more clues to be laid earlier on. It felt as though they were making it up as they went along, and there needed to be a little bit more consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Storycollector that Keates was the devil - and that the series had a made up as it went along feel - I enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete