Friday, June 4, 2010

Ring tones

Selecting the right ring tone for your mobile is a bit of a challenge. Is it a reflection of your taste and personality, a fast-moving battle of one-up-manship, a media with its own trends and fashion, or just a question of practicality?

I recently replaced my phone so first tested the tones that came with it. They were all muzak, apart from the 'classic phone ring' which a while back was the tone to have.

I've always preferred to have a genuine music track as my ring tone, but of course I'm too tight to buy a proper one so have to go through my limited music files to find one I like. It has to be one where the opening of the tune works, as I haven't figured out how to get the phone to start at the chorus.

On my last phone I had Eton Rifles by The Jam. If whoever I was with started to groove when it went off, I knew they were my age or cool. This time I fancied a change so tried Up The Junction by Squeeze. It was a good idea in theory, but in practice it made me feel like a middle-aged man poised to Dad-dance around the room.

My second attempt was bang on. Now it's Pretty Vacant by The Sex Pistols and I have a cool tone again, in my ears anyway.

Then you have to think about the tone for your text messages of course. Mine's the scream from the start of the Doctor Who theme tune. I'm so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment