Friday, February 6, 2015

Writing for WhatCulture

I'm happy to report that one of the opportunities I mentioned in my last post Angels Take Manhattan: The Basement has paid off.

WhatCulture.com is always looking for contributors, and not so long ago it asked for people to specifically write for its Doctor Who section. Too good a chance to miss I thought, so I gave it a shot. I sent them a note telling them how great I was and they invited me to send an audition piece.

I had something in my rework pile that seemed like a good candidate so I rewrote it to fit the WhatCulture.com criteria. Happily the Doctor Who section editor liked it and made me a contributor. This meant that I now had access to the dashboard where I could pitch articles or apply to take on one of their recommended assignments.

The dashboard has a detailed and clear style guide so I realised my audition piece wasn't quite fit for purpose. One more light re-work and I submitted it. Just 24 hours later my debut piece was live and being clicked, shared and, most importantly, read. What was it? Well I invite you to consider 10 Things That Every Parent Of A Doctor Who Fan Should Know

Since then I've pitched another article which has been accepted. I think I'm going to enjoy this gig.

If you fancy chancing your arm have a look at the Write For WhatCulture page. It says it much better than I could. You can also have a look at my Profile Page if you don't find Doctor Who frightening enough.

Lovely.