Sunday, August 31, 2014

Asylum of the Daleks: Intensive Care

My mate

Next Episode: Dalek Paradox

Game version played: 2.3

Intensive Care, filled with the most damaged of Daleks, those who survived the Doctor. This should be fun.

This level is labelled as a TV story, with Red and Black Time Fragments exactly like the previous two Asylum levels. However there is something else. A small Green portrait labelled '100% drop'. Beat this level and you get another team member, your first Green ally. By golly that picture is of Rory Williams, one of my favourite companions.

There are a few reasons why I like Rory so much. Firstly, he’s the companion I identify with the most. Like most Whovians I daydream of flying off in the TARDIS. However I know that my first encounter with the Doctor would involve running and death, plus a lot of feeling confused, stupid and terrified. The last thing I’d want afterwards is a repeat on an alien planet. The only thing that would get me inside the blue box was if the girl I loved was already in it.

Rory starts life as a dork who follows Amy Pond around like a lost puppy. However he ends up as The Boy Who Waited, the Last Centurion, Companion of the Doctor and Father of River Song. Why didn’t that go on his tombstone? Also I’m a bit of a romantic, and his devotion to Amy, who responds by giving up everything, even the Doctor for him, is just lovely.

His finest moment is the opening of ‘A Good Man Goes to War’, where Amy tells infant Melody of the hero that is coming to save them. Her tale, intercut with shots of the sonic opening doors, telling of a man who looks young but is hundreds of years old, who is not known by his name but a title, was masterful sleight of hand. When Amy says “This man is your father” I thought ‘What?!’ but it was okay, it was Rory all along. Dull Mr Male Nurse walks into the flag ship of the 12th Cyber Legion, stands on the bridge and coolly delivers the Doctor's message and a question from himself. He must have ice in his veins.

Arthur Darvill, photo pinched from Wikipedia
I also liked his relationship with the Doctor. Although he comes to admire and have affection for the Time Lord, he is never blinded by hero worship. He’s quite happy telling the Doctor off when he deserves it and he usually hits home with his barbs. I also prefer it if the Companions don’t have the hots for the Doctor.

One more reason for liking Rory is that he was played by Arthur Darvill. This chap is a good actor and a Brummie to boot (though he is a Villa fan). I suspect he’s rarely going to be out of work, even if he doesn't quite conquer the world like Karen Gillan seems about to. He suits a beard too, which is a mark of a good man.

So, that’s why I have to beat this level of DWL, to recruit Rory for my TARDIS.

Wave 1 breaks you in gently with one Red Drone Dalek. He’s a pushover and we’re into Wave 2 without breaking step.

Cool Cobweb Red Dalek is back with the ability to remove gems, plus a Black stun-equipped Puppet. Well those abilities only work if you live long enough to use them. My opponents didn’t. Next.

2 Cool Cobweb Daleks with a newcomer between them. It’s another New Paradigm jobby, but this one’s got an orange casing with a Green gem colour. It’s a Scientist Dalek. Let’s see if he fights better than he colour-coordinates. By this time the Doctor was ready to use his Cunnning ability and so he let fly. The Cobweb twins vanished in a puff of vapour, but Scientist survived. The professor is apparently made of sterner stuff, plus Blue is handicapped against Green. With a brief “Tsk!” I did my own dirty work, moved a few gems and saw him off. A Time Fragment fell as I confidently awaited Wave number 4.

Another new Dalek, Blue in both Gem and casing. It’s a Strategist, flanked by two Puppets. He’s a little tougher than the Scientist, but not enough for either him or his body guard to get a shot off.

Wave 5 is Boss wave, but it’s a team effort. The Scientist and the Strategist are back, but they’ve brought the Supreme with them. This scrap might be worth my time. The Strategist fell in the first exchange, but the Supreme then Distorted all my Yellow gems into Green, temporarily disarming Vastra. The Supreme then started to ready a new power called Rebuild. This is a power that summons another enemy to the battle. It only works if there’s an empty space to fill, but it can prolong fights and cause you problems if you’re not careful. If you see an enemy ready Rebuild or any other summoning power, it would be wise to target and hit them hard. Luckily in this level it takes 3 rounds to ready Rebuild so I wasn’t worried yet.

These senior Daleks are slow on the draw so I still hadn’t taken any damage, allowing me to casually vape the Scientist next. The Supreme’s Rebuild counted down, but I did for him before he could call for help. Victory was declared and a grey portrait fell. Rory was mine.

My booty for the level was 1 Red Fragment and 1 Black, a Time Crystal and Rory. Vastra achieved Lv.4 so I upped her attack. This team is toughening up. I was also awarded the ‘No More Black’ achievement for defeating 10 Black enemies. 7/56 achievements done and I’m still just warming up.

With Rory on the team you now have all colours covered, so from here on expect the gem boards to be harder to combo. You’re about to play with the big boys and girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment